PennyG

Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler
Sweethearts
Sara Zarr

Jellicoe Road

Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchetta I'm still on vacation with limited access to the internet so I have to make this quick. To be honest, I spent the majority of this book thinking, "this is a good book, but it's not that good" because I knew exactly what was going on. The "mystery" was never a mystery for me but I kept reading, waiting patiently for this book to blow me away--because I knew it would, eventually, based on all the four and five-star reviews given by trusted Goodreaders (namely Reviewer X, Tatiana and April).

And, yeah, now that I've finished reading Jellicoe Road I can say this book has 'it'. That thing that so few YA books tend to have these days. I don't even know what 'it' is, exactly. But I'll tell you this for free: my cry-holes got leaky during the last fifty pages or so. Yeah, you read that right. I. Cried. And the author didn't have to stoop to throwing some insane manipulative twist at me. She's just that good at writing. Her story came together beautifully for me and I am thoroughly satisfied. This book deserves all sorts of awards.

I will say that I spent the first fifty pages or so wondering what the hell was going on because I was dumb enough to assume the prologue was from the main character's POV. Then I looked back and saw that the incident that happened in the prologue happened twenty-two years before chapter one. Our main character is seventeen years old. So, yeah--not the same person. Just keep that in mind when you pick this book up. Also, you might want to write down the names of the characters mentioned in Hannah's manuscript--who's related to who and whatnot. It makes it much easier to keep track of the story within the story.

Anyway, I love this book. I'm going to start recommending it to anyone who asks. Soooo...read this book. Now.

P.S. I'll probably post a much better review of Jellicoe Road when I get home. Which won't be for a few weeks or so.