PennyG

Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler
Sweethearts
Sara Zarr

Columbine

Columbine - Dave Cullen I went to Highlands Ranch high school which is located just outside Littleton, CO. Though I graduated in 1997 it was impossible to not be affected by this tragedy. Like every Coloradan I spent the Spring of '99 in mourning, trying to make sense of this tragedy.

Later, in the Fall of 1999, I started working at Abercrombie & Fitch--the one in Southglenn Mall, in case any of you native Coloradans were wondering (Why??? Because I was stupid, but that's beside the point). Two of my co-workers went to Columbine and were there that day, though one had just graduated, went on to college but had to drop out mid-semester because she was suffering from PTSD. The other was still attending Columbine (a senior that year), and he had been in the library during the shootings.

Anyway, I became friends with both of these kids before I even knew they had any connection to Columbine (neither spoke about it until we got to talking about high school one day). Long story short: I learned a lot about what happened at Columbine. Stuff that wasn't talked about on the news. It was all very interesting, yet incredibly horrifying--especially the stuff about the shooters themselves.

Soon after I filed Columbine in the back of my brain so I wouldn't have to think about it again. After 9/11 I forgot about it completely. But then this book was published, and I could no longer pretend it didn't happen. But I didn't want to read this book. I just couldn't.

But now I feel it's time--I need to read this book. I don't know why, exactly. And no, I don't really know why I typed this all up when I haven't read this book yet, therefore don't have a review to share. I guess I just felt I needed to get my feelings out about this whole mess.