PennyG

Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler
Sweethearts
Sara Zarr

The Dust of 100 Dogs

The Dust of 100 Dogs - A.S. King First things first: I had a hard time rating this book. Two stars doesn't seem to do it justice but three stars would be too generous - it was more then okay but I didn't totally like it.

Saffron Adams isn't your normal modern teenager. She's actually the reincarnation of Emer Morrisey, a cursed pirate who sailed the Caribbean over 300 years ago. The curse? She was cursed to live the lives of 100 dogs before coming back as a human once more. Why? Well, that wasn't super clear. I mean, yeah, she murdered and pillaged. And yeah, she killed a creepy Frenchman who claimed to love her, causing the Frenchman's servant - who loved said Frenchman - to retaliate by cursing her right before she dies. The servant wanted her to know how long true love lasts or something like that. Apparently by living the lives of 100 dogs she would suffer (because she doesn't forget anything. She remembers all the lives she lives). The thing is I don't think Emer/Saffron did a ton of suffering. And, if anything, she's a little wiser and knows a lot about how to raise a dog properly (I kid you not).

Saffron spends the first 18 years of her life pretending to be a regular - smarter then average - girl. But really, she's secretly planning a trip to the Caribbean so she might retrieve the treasure she and her (Emer Morrisey's) childhood sweetheart buried right before their violent deaths.

Was this book entertaining? Sure, I guess, if you're into pirates. Which, after reading this book I've decided I'm not into the whole pirate thing. Worth reading? That depends.