PennyG

Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler
Sweethearts
Sara Zarr

The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth - Carrie Ryan The title of this book is pretty creepy, I realize. So what compelled me to pick it up and read it? Not quite sure, to tell you the truth. I've never been into the whole zombie thing - it's not my bag. Yet, I am pleasantly surprised by how much I genuinely liked this book.

Sure, it's not the best book ever written - most of the story is narration (seriously, there is very little dialogue, particularly at the beginning of the novel. It took some getting used to). And sure, I don't particularly care for the protagonist at times - she's naïve; seemingly unaware that her choices effect the lives of others (she's the protagonist, she's obligated to be naïve). And suuuure, the village in which part of the story takes place is reminiscent of the village in M. Night Shamalan's The Village (only a little. Okay, maybe a lot. -ish). But I still enjoyed reading this book because it's got adventure, suspense, some romance (because ya gotta have some romance), and a limitless army of flesh-eating zombies.

Okay, so I've simplified it a bit. There is more to the story - a whole other layer to consider. The protagonist, Mary, spends quite a bit of time thinking about stuff. Basically, she's trying to figure out who she is and what she believes. She wants to know if there are other people - other villages, like hers - beyond the forest that surrounds her village. She wants to know if the ocean exists. She's driven by the stories her mother would tell her about the world outside the fence that surrounds the village - before there were zombies (or rather, The Unconsecrated - what zombies are called in this book).

Like I said, I liked this book, though I would've rather given it two-and-a-half stars instead of three, but there are no half stars and it deserves more then just two stars. Also, I'd like to mention this book is not for everyone (Though there is not a lot of violence, what little there is can be quite graphic).