PennyG

Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler
Sweethearts
Sara Zarr

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Ann Brashares I was pleasantly surprised with this YA novel. It explores friendship and coming of age in a realistic way. It dealt with death, mixed families, depression, romantic love, sex and other things that teenagers deal with in this day and age. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a drama, actually it's a fun novel that is well written, and a pleasure to read. I think anyone would enjoy reading it.

Call me crazy but I actually liked that one of the storylines delved into sexual intimacy, showing that there IS such thing as not being emotionally prepared for sex. That there are other consequences besides unwanted pregnancies and STDs, and I think it's about time someone brought it up.

One of the characters, Bridgett, is quite impulsive and acts on her impulses, damn the consequences. Heck, I don't think she considers the consequences of her actions before she does anything. While the beautiful blonde seems frivolous and shallow, there is so much more to her. She's the one who (spoiler alert) loses her virginity to her soccer camp counselor--a good looking, 18-year-old guy.

After they have sex Bridgett falls into a depression of sorts. She isn't the same old 'B' that everyone knows and loves. We learn that Bridgett's mother struggled with depression--possibly even bi-polar--and unfortunately Bridgett seems to struggle with the same thing. We also know that there is quite a bit of dysfunction in Bridgett's family which may or may not contribute to her impulsive ways.

BTW, for all you moms of 'tweens or teenage girls, there are no actual sex scenes in this novel. There is a point in which it is inferred but it is so vague that one might miss it if they are not really paying attention.