PennyG

Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler
Sweethearts
Sara Zarr

Across the Universe

Across the Universe - Beth Revis Updated! Now with a spoiler-y rant!

I just typed up an entire review for this book. First actual review I've actually typed up in several months, but because my wireless mouse is evil I lost the whole thing while I was making a few revisions, right before posting it. I kid you not. I'm pretty devastated because I wasted way too much time typing it up even though I should be in bed, because I'm really sick right now.

I might come back and post an actual review after I'm no longer leaking snot and/or hacking up my lungs and/or choking on my rage and/or weeping.

-----

The only reason I'm giving this book 3 stars is because Beth Revis had the guts to end the book in the way that she did. Not many authors would do such a thing, particularly these days when everything YA must end with a HEA wrapped in a pretty red bow.

If Across the Universe had ended with an HEA I would have given it the 1 star it really deserves. The only redeeming thing about this book is the way that it ends. Under the circumstances a HEA would have been completely inappropriate. Amy and Elder could not end up in a romantic relationship because of what he did to her. Even though he had no idea what the repercussions of his actions would be when he woke Amy up, it doesn't matter. The fact is, he was wrong. What's worse, he lied to her about it. Elder is lucky Amy was able to give him her friendship in the end. Me? I would have wished him dead.

------

Update 01/20/12: This isn't a review so much as it is a spoiler-y rant about this book. Don't click the spoiler if you haven't finished reading Across the Universe. I'm distressed that this is the first book in what will now be a series. When I read this book it was a standalone, I'm positive. I was glad because I couldn't stand to see things develop between Amy and Elder. I was bothered that this girl's entire life was ruined because Elder couldn't leave well enough alone. I'm glad they didn't end up in a relationship at the end of Across the Universe. Elder didn't deserve her, and I can't imagine Amy would be able to fully forgive Elder for what he did to her, regardless of his intentions.

I mean, he basically stole Amy's life! She'll be older than her parents when the ship lands. Heck, she might even be dead by then. How sad. All because some supposedly uber-intelligent kid couldn't leave her be because she was a pretty red-head.

I'm particularly bothered that no one else seems to understand how disgusting the whole situation is. Everyone else who has read this book is beside themselves with glee that Amy and Elder will supposedly be together in the next book, or at least that's what I gathered when I read the book description.

Girlfriend is NUTS if she gets with Elder. And anyway, the only reason she'd get with him is because he's the only person who is her age and not suffering from chronic stupidity or a mental illness of some sort. It's not like she has a whole lot of options. I hate that she gets with the guy who ruined her life and then lied to her about it. I hate that in the next book she somehow gets over it and falls in love with him. I'm disgusted. I'm disgusted by everyone who seems to think they belong together. I know it sounds crazy but it's totally true. I'm disgusted by people who think Elder and Amy are meant to be, regardless of the fact that Across the Universe is a fictional story.

I sort of want to read the next book in the series, just to see if I'm wrong. I want to see if Amy still harbors resentment towards Elder. I hope she does. He doesn't exactly deserve her forgiveness and I think she'd be a fool to forgive him. I'm cool with them being friends or allies, but I think a part of me might die if they end up in a romantic relationship. /rant