PennyG

Jay Asher, Carolyn Mackler
Sweethearts
Sara Zarr

Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher Thirteen Reasons, Why?!

That's what I'd like to know. I mean, why not just blame everyone who ever came in contact with this girl? Why just the thirteen people who, I'm sorry, though they played a part in making this girl's life miserable, were not the only reasons why this girl killed herself. At least, not as far as I can tell.

Admittedly, I'm not yet finished with this book, but still, not really feeling sorry for this girl as of yet. I keep thinking, This is your great revenge? Killing yourself and making all those mean people listen to your side of the story now that they can no longer defend themselves, or at least apologize? Really??? Dude.

I know I can be heartless from time to time. Like that one time when I just wanted that girl with cancer to die. And right now I'm not feeling this story. Its just not working for me. I'll be reviewing as I read because I'm unable to stop questioning everything in this novel.

Questions so far (as of page 66):
1. Audiotapes? Really? Who uses tapes anymore? I'm assuming I'll get some sort of answer as to why this Hannah girl chose tapes to tell her story on, but as of now I'm not buying it especially since this was published in 2007.

2. Hannah killed herself? To what, teach everyone a lesson? That'll show them. So far it seems as though she's a regular teenage girl who had a string of unfortunate events happen to her. I don't know what caused her to kill herself but something tells me it's rape. Even then, did she have to kill herself? I realize there's a good chance I'll take this all back, but as of right now I don't really feel much for Hannah. I mean, yeah, some sucky stuff has already happened to her, but still...

3. Clay doesn't even know what he did to this girl, in fact he had a thing for her but was too shy to actually do anything about that, yet she still blames him for killing herself? Really? Maybe she should have--I don't know--told him what he did to her, you know? I mean, instead of killing herself. Whatever. I'll keep reading. (even though I'm unable to stop rolling my eyes).